Monday, July 17, 2006

Day 17: Lighting a fire under me doesn't help.

Not driving has turned me lazy.

It’s totally true. Last month, the house was clean, the kids got out twice a day and dinner was always home cooked. As a women without a job, I had two main goals. One, that my daughters never got cooped up in the house. Two, that I made meals from scratch with the best quality foods.

So today I had high hopes for an afternoon grocery store run for olive oil, butter, wine and yogurt. I know, not a lot of stuff. But trust me, all staples.

When Carolyn woke up from her nap, I checked the National Weather Station’s Web site and saw it was 91 degrees, but felt like 103. I asked my 2-year-old daughter if she wanted to take the bus to the store, and she said NO, which she says to everything. Well, that was good enough for me.

Thankfully we had leftovers, so I didn't have to resort to mustard sandwiches on white bread.

How is it possible to take your kids to the community pool in the morning (so fun!), make cookies for your husband’s office pot luck and still run errands on the bus with two hot children? Even at the pool, which is about a mile and a half round trip, I mentally challenged the woman getting her four kids out of a minivan, thinking, “I bet she drives all over town in that thing and doesn’t give a second thought about it.”

This woman, and the dozens like her poolside, probably even have time to stop at the grocery store for wine, if she wants, and doesn’t have to eye the Marsala shoved in the back of the cupboard.

Lucky bitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home