Sunday, July 23, 2006

Day 23: Other people, you know, non-Americans, walk

My cousin Julia, who studies Russian linguistics, I think, at the University of California Berkeley, has traveled more than most and pointed out even small towns in Europe generally have reliable forms of public transportation.

She sent me this thought:

I was thinking about how even when I lived in a small-ish city in
Russia (Vladimir) there was an excellent bus & trolleybus system. Never had to wait more than five minutes for something to come. And people walk a lot, even old grandmothers. Yet Americans are so forward-thinking, right?!!

She pointed out later that she's a little hypocritical, even driving to her favorite running spot.

I'd like to point out she's not alone, hypocritically speaking. When I'm driving, I drive to the gym. And most mothers around Normal drive to the playground. Everyone who lives in a big city has had a "friend," or maybe just a friend, who opted to travel six blocks by car rather than hoof it.

But I liked her general idea.

2 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Christine said...

When I read this comment, I almost openly wept.
I had another trying day and was feeling all doom and gloom. When I read this, I again felt like maybe I'm not totally crazy.
Thank you.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Alotta Errata said...

I too found your blog through Grist, and while I'm not all caught up yet, I agree with Librarian Mom, you need to give yourself more credit!

My first public transportation experience was as a foreign exchange student to Russia (Perm) when I was 15. Until then I really had never been on a subway or public bus. For such a poor area, the quality and reliability of the transportation system is exceptional. The subway in Moscow really is quite an experience. The family I lived with had 6 children, and those who did not take the bus to school used cross country skis.

Now as an adult, after a few years of 98-mile-one-way commutes I'm determined to revamp my life. My husband and I purchased our first home (a condo, houses in our area are out of reach) and I love it. I love being surrounded by the community of neighbors. Granted, I have great neighbors. I work from home, and only drive when necessary. My only wish is that the grocery was within biking distance so that I could use my car even less.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home